Aug 28, 2009

let me say again, my marriage is not based on conceiving babies

This question has been on my mind for quite some time; why is it that when a woman couldn’t get pregnant, the fault would be entirely on her?

Being married more than 2 years, I am still not with child yet.

Helpless? Yes.
Miserable? Yes.
Feeling like a failure? Yes.
Angry? Yes.
Sad? Yes.

In fact, I’m feeling everything and more. I couldn’t help not getting pregnant, and that makes me helpless. I couldn’t help being miserable knowing that I’m hopeless in this. Yes, I admit at times I feel like a failure, to myself, to my husband, to my family for not giving them a child they and I so want. But at most times, I feel angry with the world for being insensitive when asking inconsiderate questions about this.

I never get angry at questions like, dah ada anak?
Because then I will answer, belum lagi.
And they will say, oh takpe adalah tu nanti.

But.

I hate questions like, bila nak ada baby?
Because then I wouldn’t know what to answer except for, ntahlah.
And they will say, oh kau planning ke?

What the hell is that? Do you want me to say, oh perhaps tomorrow I’ll give you a baby. Oh I forgot, I’ve other things to do tomorrow so how about next week? You think it’s that easy? For me and for you? Well, easy for you to say, maybe.

So, when my answer to family plan is not in affirmative, another question will follow.
Eh, kau tak nak check ke? Mana tahu, kau ada problem ke.

Now you are accusing me with a problem. Nice. How do you that maybe there's a possibility it’s not me that has a problem, it could always be the man. Not that I’m saying Syarif is problematic in that area. It’s just that the general perception lay out by the society it’s always the woman’s fault if she could not give a child. Do you know that a man dips in a hand too to make that small human being? Or do you think that we women just wake up one morning to find a bulging tummy ready for birth, all by own?

Tsk.

What saddens me most is that sometimes these questions come from the effeminate circle. Women should stand up for their own kind, not letting them get ambushed instead. It is ironic that I have to withstand aimless insults from women rather than men. I just had to laugh off all this when things become too unbearable.

It is natural order of things that we cannot interfere with; women will always punish each other to see who will suffer the most. Who knows in the future, I might be one of them to ‘kill’ another helpless lady.

Which will leave me no better off.

p/s: ya, jangan risau adalah medical follow up nanti. then we'll see.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sara,

I totally relate what you're going through right now. Not that I'm going through the same thing but somehow I understand it when our society always pressure woman concerning marriage and motherhood. And if we somehow fail to live up to their expectation the blame would instantly fall on us. Somehow it is always our fault. Sedih kan?

Anyways, all I can say is hang in there. I'm sure God will bless you with a child as soon as He feels that the both of you are ready. In the meantime enjoy your time together with your hubbie because lepas ada anak nanti takde masa pulak :P

I wish you all the best and I will doakan that someday you'll have a little miniature version of you running around and harassing you to your wits ends. Hehe.

Salam Ramadhan,
Shan

sera_a said...

hahah, kak shan!

thank you so much for making me feel better. yeah, it's really bad how people around us can put so much pressure on us. and being me, usually i don't care at all what they say, but sometimes, on bad days, they just get to you, you know.

i know, kak shan, you must know how it feels, even though in a different context, but the pressure is still there.

so i pray that both of us, and women who face the same thing will stand strong. because we tough beings. :)

sis i said...

Sweetie pie Sera

I've been thru and in fact still going thru frm pple ard esp the makciks. The Mr Hubby much stronger and less sensitive but not the wifey. When we hv No or yet to hv children they'll keep asking 'bila nak dpt anak???' Do they noe how much it hurts? Sape yg kawin tak nak anak to hv complete family? As 4u my dear, I can only adv as muslim kita berbalik pd Rukun Iman-Percayakan Qada & Qadar & jgn jemu utk meminta & berdoa pada Nya. Yg penting kerukunan r'tangga aset utama...pheew