Feb 17, 2010

piri piri

I can never get enough holidays, no matter how long it is.

Waking up this morning was such a pain after 4 days of late sleep-ins. Fortunately, roads were clear and managed to secure a parking. Planned to continue sleep in the small room at the back, but got stuck in front of pc, surfing through online shopping sites while chatting with little sister. And now, I can't possibly sneak in because everyone is stationed at their own work stations (in front of the small room of course).

I've done a lot of cooking during the hols. I made nasi lemak, bbq, piri piri fish and.. that's all?! I thought I made a lifetime of cooking!

When I was in uk last year, during ramadhan, we went to a nearby neighbor for breaking fast. She made this marvelous spicy fish dish and I asked her how she made it. She used a kind of herb I've never heard before, piri-piri, and foil baked with whipped cream. Being a fresh water fish, it releases that fatty tasty moisture which I can't get enough! So before I came back, I hunted down that particular blend of spice and found it on the counters of tesco.

I was figuring out what to do with my sardine for lunch yesterday when I remembered I have still yet to experiment with piri piri. I didn't have cream in stock so I used coconut milk instead. It turned out quite well but I think the cream would have done the trick much better. And switch to fatty fish too. J

I've wiki-ed on piri piri (which is surprisingly the same as nando's peri peri), apparently it is a name for bird's eye chilli (cili padi) in some parts of Africa. It is widely used for making sauces and marinades for grilling and roasting, especially in Portuguese dishes. Even chain-stores like KFC is using piri piri in their recipes. I need to look up for more recipes using piri piri. I think I'm addicted to its spiciness. But I still need to pound in some fresh cili padi for more heat. Little Aatikah loves it though, she's such a punk!

No comments: