Oct 15, 2008

Class was okay.

Still couldnt decide what I feel about them.

A racket was going on when I walked into the classroom. A sea of different faces turned to look at me. I guess they must have been wondering what the new lecturer will be like.

Nothing like I expected. What a difference between public uni students and private students. In terms of attitude, mentality and dressing. Yes, even their dressing look kind of weird.

Tapi aku sedih lihat orang melayu kita macam tu. Pikir nak main je tanpa menghiraukan masa depan mereka sendiri.

The students will address you like nobody's business. Shameless. To the point where you question yourself, is this kid being rude to you? I take that in a positive way because I wouldnt want a silent, mundane class. But I told them, in a nice way, that they need to be civilised and polite when trying to make themselves heard. I know this kind of kids, you just have to be a bit nice so that they will listen to you, but not too nice for you to be stepped on.

I remember my uni days, it was really different. You dont talk and laugh at your own lecturer. Everything the lecturer says and presents is correct. And you cant refute that. To that extent. But then, they will be complaints that our students are too impassive. Too submissive. Not able to think critically. All the traits that companies do not wish to dwell in them. Nevertheless, Im sure the government will readily accept them. Perfect ;p

Anyways, going back to the issue, I hope to make a difference in their perspective, if not a little. Im no preacher and less of a perfect but at least I can share with them what the real world outside there is like. Come to think of it, they are like little sisters and brothers that need a bit of a guidance. Maybe, I need the guidance. Its a teaching-learning situation after all.

So, next week will be on full track. Then I know how I feel.

3 comments:

foxxy said...

OMG. a lecturer? so cooool!!! which uni? wanna go for coffee sometimes?

sera_a said...

not a uni, im afraid. just a small college where i work at. just a part time thingy.

coffee would be nice. kamu di klcc saja kan, because im just nearby, in jln gurney kiri (in front of dewan felda kayangan).

u didnt give me ur contact number that day but i gave u mine, so its ur call babe! ;p

ummi sa'eed said...

tahniah tahniah :)

tapi lagi best ajar budak darjah darjah je kot...attitude sama aje..haha kejam kejam